~Our Emergency Vet Visit
Had to run Knobby to the emergency vet because he got into my daughter’s purse and chew up her gum package, she was sure how much he ingested so our vet said to take him to the emergency vet. Gum can be a bad thing because most sugar-free gum contains xylitol. Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs, even small amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death.
Keep anything with Xylitol where your Weimaraner cannot snatch it–
After $399.59, the pet poison hotline and induced vomiting at the hospital he’s fine. Luckily that brand and flavor of gum didn’t have xylitol. They also found several paper towels, he must’ve got into the trash also and one partial dissolved Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic chew. He doesn’t get dinner tonight so hopefully he’ll remember, probably not. If you like gum and have pets, stick to Wrigley’s Extra Cinnamon. Oh and get pet insurance, I also have that too, now I get to learn how to bill to it.
Since we are virtually sugar-free at our home, we have Xylitol around. Anything baked with it, sugar-free gum, etc., must be kept out of reach of the Weimaraner. Click Here to get some idea of products that might be in your home that could contain Xylitol.
Posted on December 10, 2020, in Flo X Boone, Health and Wellness, Information and Education, Ingested items, Previous Pup Update. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.
Pingback: Hello From OwyheeStar | Owyheestar Weimaraner's News