What’s For Dessert?
It begins from the day you bring them home. Chewing and mouthing everything the pup challenges you to keep them away from your household and personal items. After all, they all contain your scent and what do they love more than you? Nothing!
Many people are frantic to find something that occupies their young Weimaraner and at the same times satisfies their need to chew. Flavored Chews are popular. While we never use rawhide, a lot of folks swear by it. You might ask why would use the all Natural USA Pig Ears for a young Weimaraner but refuse to incorporate the rawhide. Both are made of the outer hide so to speak; however, the pig ears are digestible. They are primarily fat. In our experience, the Weimaraner often has a tender gut. Bits of rawhide can cause irritation leading to diarrhea or even a bloody stool. Worse yet, these can lead to an intestinal blockage.
- THE BARk —The Dangers of Rawhide Dog Chew Toys
- Web Md — http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/rawhide-good-or-bad-for-your-dog#1
- Natural Pawz — https://naturalpawz.com/blog/the-most-dangerous-pet-chew-ever-rawhide
- Dog Food Advisor Recall Notification <== Important Recall Notice!
If you opt to use the rawhide for your voracious chewer, there are things you ought to do.
Monitor them when they are chewing to make sure they are not tearing big chunks off and ingesting them.
- Make sure you get the product of USA–this doesn’t guarantee they are chemical free. If fact, there is no such thing when it comes to rawhide.
- If you have children and your dog is guarding their food and bones, only allow them to have them in their crate. You need to work on getting them to allow you to pick up their food, etc., however, never take a chance with your children.
- Be alert! If they are vomiting or lethargic put the rawhide aside and keep a vigilant watch. Go to your Veterinary office if this doesn’t pass quickly.
- Rawhides are not the only concern — socks, trash finds, shoes, stuffed toys, and the list goes on and on.
Weimar Parents Know
Extracting a bit of fabric from their bum is not our idea of a good time. Nonetheless, you cannot have the Weimaraner dragging that disgusting bit around the house. (Ewe) Shoes are expensive–they like designer leather, but a good tennis shoe works as well. These carry your scent which is a huge plus if they miss you, but they also can carry the Parvovirus and other bacteria, etc. that can be ingested. The trashcan is choice shopping. A paper that smells so chicken–yum. My personal favorite was a discarded artificial Christmas Tree limb. Fortunately for Turbo Mama was in tune with him and caught the issue in time. It required surgical removal. Other extractions included bits of a rope bone, rocks and part of a Kong toy. Even those heavy duty rubber toys eventually crack–toss them when they start to wear. As you see, we are not limiting the concern to the rawhide items; however, they are something we don’t recommend with a clear conscience. Yesterday, we saw a post where golf balls were removed. The list is endless.
Please note that although Waylon escaped his crate and got into things, nothing was destroyed. What a good boy!
Posted on June 15, 2017, in Behavior & Training, Blue Weims, Companion Weimaraner, Crate Training, Hollee X Benton, OwyheeStar Weim, Owyheestar Weimaraner, OwyheeStar Weimaraner Puppy, Previous Pup Update, Puppy Information, Weim Tales and tagged Chewing and Weims, Weim antics, Weimaraner antics. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Snacking.